Wednesday, August 4, 2010

Of men and women

I seem to have rediscovered my need to express myself .. possibly inspired by Bb-Aisha .. her debate with Shak on the nature of relationships made me want to throw in my 2 cents worth.

I think I have a different perspective on marriage and relationships; on the roles and responsibilities of a married couple.
My perspective is mainly driven by having grown-up and experienced a household not entirely in-line with the mainstream Muslim experience.

I grew-up in a household where both my parents worked full-time from a very young age. My mum stopped working for two years after having me (the eldest) and then returned to work. When my brothers were born she stopped working for much shorter periods of time, 3 and 2 months respectively.

And to tell you the truth, I think we all turned out pretty fine :-)
The reason this worked was that there was a full-time commitment from both my parents to making this work, to sharing the responsibilities of parenthood and keeping a house as equally as possible.

Now, this is often a concept spoken about by couples, normally in a "we'll both participate .." but quite frankly most of the time one side falls down on their obligation, unfortunately normally the man!

So what does this mean for me, what does this non-traditional experience actually result in. How does this shape my thinking into a slightly less mainstream viewpoint - and what does that viewpoint look like in real life?

For me the concept is clear, that of a true union of equality between parties. In practice, one would expect both parties to be at the same level, both in terms of education, but also drive and desire to succeed.
I would strongly disagree therefore with the idea that a women would need to be "allowed to travel to conferences" indeed the very idea is non-negotiable; of course a women should do the travelling. It forms a part of her duty and responsibility as a breadwinner.
I even more strongly abhor the idea that "(Women) who have had freedom .. should want it post (marriage)". Perhaps my perspective is skewed and I should be appropriately lambasted but for me the idea of The Husband, the king /tyrant who rules over a relationship .. dictating freedoms as he sees fit is completely alien to me. I think it has very little if any place in a modern relationship.

So to be clear, I advocate freedom, absolute freedom for both parties. However, in line with freedoms must come responsibilities. And it is respect for these responsibilities that governs our freedoms and ensures we don't degenerate into anarchy.
In much the same way as an individual can not play loud music at night (disturbing the peace) nor can they sing "kill the Boer" (hate speech) so the freedoms of the couple to pursue their ambitions and objectives both individually and together must be balanced with the rights of others.
Allah says clearly in the Quran "you have right's over them and they have rights over you" (referring to men and women). So your right's or freedoms must be balanced by the rights of other's over you .. namely that of the spouse, the family and the household.

What does this mean practically?
That the couple should as they see fit, divide and delegate responsibilities and obligations in line with the strengths, interests and development goals of both parties. If the wife is a great cook then let her cook and the husband clean. And if the husband wants to learn how to cook, let them both cook together and both clean.
The concept is simple, one of total equity (not equality) between the parties in an attempt to create a relationship, a family and a society that is more just and fair

9 comments:

bb_aisha said...

It's 2:40am & I'm going to keep this short-the community needs more men like you.

Hamish should link your blog, & you'll have the women lining up.

To add to your last line on equity, I'm pasting part of a comment I made last year.

`Each to their dreams

And if one finds a partner who shares similar dreams, then a co-dependent marriage is perfectly possible.

It comes down to basic compatibility & shared interests & understanding of envisioned future life.`

I now have so much more I want to add, but thoughts are jumbled. I'll feed off you, & aim to clarify my thoughts on Muslim men & confusion debate, & articulate them in a blog post.
I want/need to resume blogging.

Aasia said...

WEll done, I tried to explain this to a very good freind who said before marriage and the kids, she could come and go as she pleased. now she couldn't.

I said we grow up and grow out of things, there's still freedom, just a different versin than before. And that her husband and kids take priority.

Most people who still believe that nothing changes after marriage, needs to grow up. You're either too immature for marriage let alone a partner or you have illusions of grandeur.

Most divorces I have heard of recently is not due to the men but their wives. Not prepared to make some changes and accept their share of responsibility to the home.
If we continuously live passed each other, we won't recognise one another.

Az said...

I admire & respect your sentiments. And I agree here with Mezzaterra too:
`Each to their dreams And if one finds a partner who shares similar dreams, then a co-dependent marriage is perfectly possible. It comes down to basic compatibility & shared interests & understanding of envisioned future life.`

People have different needs and requirements. For instance, I know a woman who likes being told what to do, and her husband likes to do the telling... so for them it works perfectly. Its all about getting a partner with the same priorities, someone who's on the same page.

And maybe you don't want or need my advice, but I'm gonna give it to you anyway. I once told you that you're idealistic to a fault. You only see the good in people (which is very admirable and is *mostly* a good thing, don't get me wrong).

I just think that maybe you should start viewing your relationships more objectively...not negatively or pessimistically... just objectively and realistically.

Because you tend to see what you want to see and not whats reality... and you're always the one left disappointed because someone else didn't live up to that pedestal you put them on. In most cases, you'll find that the other person may have always been who she was, its just that you chose not to see it. I say this out of concern, because once upon a time, I used to be the same and I can recognise it in others.

My dartboard said...

You're a #%$@ing legend. Very good post indeed. My own mother and my late father were working people and very independently minded. Neither had to tell the other what to do, where to go, who to speak to and I guess that's shaped my thinking as well. Some people think getting married means taking on a managerial responsibility with the other party to the union having to be managed as if you're marrying a village idiot. True that now you're working together towards a common goal, and everyone needs to get on the same page, but why the hell do you need to micromanage the other person? Men and women do it. I can't stand it and I hope whoever I marry doesn't expect it because that's "how her daddy does it."

We're all adults here and we've all made it this far without being consumed by predators. If you marry someone who enjoys all the freedoms but shirks all of the responsibility then management is not the problem. You chose a moron. Finished and klaar. To quote Jackie Selebi.Often people are in such a hurry to make nikah for the sake of that they believe their personal interest is the common interest. I hate that type of person and wish they would go live on the moon.
Legend post mate. And proof that not all Muslim men are one foot in the cave.

Shak said...

Thanks for the linkage! And a pat on the back for knowing what you want and, more importantly, what you have to offer to someone else.

UJ said...

Bb_aisha, Hamish *blushes* now look what you've gone and done .. made me all embarrassed!
I sincerely hope that it's not just the blogosphere that contains rational thoughtful people, but that they also exist out there in the real world.

Azra, I don't not see the faults - I overlook them and hope they'll improve. And perhaps you're right .. i should confront those flaws and faults upfront, but seriously .. who wants that? Marriage and relationships are about compromise .. about accepting each others flaws and finding ways to work within them, at least that's what I think. Do you have a different opinion?

Az said...

This is not about picking out their faults. This is about not having expectations and not making her out to be someone shes not.

And Dude, if there is one thing I learned is that people don't change unless they want to change. So if you recognise a trait or flaw that you can forsee is going to be a major problem, you cannot "hope that it will improve" because chances are it will never improve.

I once told a friend of mine before he got married that he should remember that he will never be able to change her (and vice versa).

And again, this is not about seeking perfection because then you're not going to get anywhere because no one is perfect. This is about recognising and distinguishing between those flaws you can live with and overlook and those you can't.

sof said...

i really enjoyed reading this post and learning more abt you. you seem entirely at ease with where you want to stand in a relationship...and its refreshing to see less cultural baggage that is so common here in the UK.

That Mash Guy said...

you gotta know yourself.